Get Organized for Back to School
Guest Article by Cathy Bates
It’s that time already – back to school time! A Staples commercial once said “it’s the most wonderful time of the year.” What are your thoughts on back to school? Here are some tips to help make it a wonderful time:
* Stock up on supplies needed throughout the year and create a homework center. A clearly labeled, plastic draw unit makes a great homework center where you can store paper, pencils, markers, glue, and anything else your student needs to complete assignments.
* Set up a command center with files or bins for school papers that must be signed and returned to school, homework or projects that are ongoing, library books, and anything else that comes to and from school.
* Install hooks near the door to hang backpacks, and jackets.
* If your child packs a lunch, set up an area in the kitchen to store prepackaged lunch items and the supplies needed to assemble sandwiches, etc.
* If your child purchases a school lunch, post the menu inside a cabinet door or on the refrigerator.
* Post a calendar in a central place to track all of your family’s activities.
Studies show students thrive in an organized environment. I hope these tips will help your students have their best year ever and a little extra time to just be kids
Once the kids are settled into their school schedule, it’s time to gear up for some organizing of your own. It’s the perfect time to catch up on organizing projects around the house so that by the time the holidays arrive, your home is organized and you are able to enjoy the festivities without all of the stress!
Cathy Bates is owner of Practical Solutions, a professional organizing company that provides organizing services for your home or office. Practical Solutions is offering a free organizing workshop on Monday, September 8, 2008 at 6:30 p.m. at Citibank in Yucaipa to jumpstart your organizing efforts. You can register at www.psorganizing.com or call (909)810-3719.