Spring Cleaning Checklist
It’s spring cleaning time again…or at least time to start thinking about a spring cleaning checklist. The days are getting longer, the weather is starting to warm up a bit and there’s no better time to start organizing yourself to tackle the dust bunnies, wipe down your dirty walls and organize the closet. It’s time to let the light in, reduce the clutter and get control of your house again.
The key to a good spring cleaning is to not overwhelm yourself so much that you put the entire cleaning project off for another day. Instead, try to organize the cleaning so that you tackle different sections of the house at once or different types of cleaning at the same time. When you have the duster out to clean the ceiling fans and knick-knacks it’s a good time to hit the plants and bookshelves.
Here’s a list of just a few of the basic tasks to get you started. You can find some printable checklists below.
In the Kitchen
- Empty out the refrigerator and the freezer.
- Vacuum under the fridge around the coils behind the grill.
- Wipe the top of the fridge off.
- Wipe down all of the seals around the doors.
- Clean the inside of the microwave. Hint ~ Heat up a cup of water for a couple of minutes to build up some steam first…it makes cleaning much easier.
In the Bedroom
- Clean out those closets. Don’t hold back…if you haven’t worn it in a few years, you probably aren’t going to start now. Get everything out of the closet and thoroughly vacuum the far corners.
- Flip over and turn your mattress. While you’re at it, move the bed frame out of the way and vacuum or dust under it. You might even find that old, missing sock you lost last year.
- Take the comforter or bedspread to the cleaners.
- Throw out all those old toys your kids haven’t played with in years.
- Get blocks of cedar to help keep the moths away and things smelling fresh.
- Dust and wipe down all of the ceiling fans in house.
- Take your screens down, hose them off outside and wipe them down with warm soap and water.
- Dust your lampshades.
- Remove all of the cushions and pillows from your couch and chairs and vacuum this out. You might even find some money here!
- Clean your windows inside and out.
- Wipe down the tops of all door frames.
- Test all of your fire alarms and change the batteries if needed.
- Change the filters on your air conditioner.
- Get new entry mats at every entrance.
- Use a magic eraser to get those pesky scuff marks off of walls.
For the Hardcore
- Remove and clean all the faucet aerators.
- Change the pollen filter in your car.
- Change the shelf liners in your drawers
- Donate anything you don’t want or can’t use.
- If you find something you haven’t seen in years or forgot you had…chances are you don’t need it.
- Start from the top and work your way down. Vacuum the dust that has settled from your marathon dusting session.
- Remember that a clean home makes for a healthy one. You can literally breath easier once your house is clean.
Check out some earlier articles on spring cleaning:
Printable Spring Cleaning Checklists